In the spring of 1968, Rev. Clifford MacDonald and Ena MacDonald traveled from England to Canada to begin pastoral work. Under the leadership of the then overseer, Bishop C. Chapin, they pioneered the West Toronto Church of God along with five other members- Sis. Violet Burey, Sis. Jennifer Martin, Sis. Morales and Bro. & Sis Loney.
This small membership grew rapidly and by June 30, 1968 the church was organized with twenty-three members, some of whom are still with us today. As the church grew, it became necessary to move into a larger building, so Rev. MacDonald and the members worked diligently and managed to purchase a new property at 29 Halton Street. On May 2, 1992, the Pioneer and Pastor of West Toronto Church, Pastor MacDonald, passed away suddenly. For three and half months the church was without a Pastor.
Rev. Dr. George. S. Peart was chosen as the new pastor and he and his wife, Mrs Jireta Peart, officially took office on Sunday, September 22, 1992. The membership grew exponentially under his leadership and as a result, parking spaces became limited. In response, Rev. Peart and the council began to seek a new site. There were many obstacles but he had a vision and was determined to see the vision realized. Soon, they acquired new property at 1655 Wilson Avenue, North York, Canada-the site where the church currently resides. Rev. Dr G.S. Peart served the church diligently.
Bishop H.O. Wilson became Pastor at West Toronto Church in August 2002. Prior to his arrival, he was Pastor of the Malton Church of God (now New Life Covenant Centre) for 23 years and Administrative Bishop of the Church of God in Eastern Canada. Bishop Wilson led the church in a major reconstruction project that gave birth to the church facilities that exist today at 1655 Wilson Avenue. He had a heart and passion for people and saw many souls come to Christ under his leadership. Bishop Wilson and Mrs Clementina Wilson were succeeded on June 26, 2015 by Bishop Wayne Vernon and Mrs Yvonne Vernon who currently lead the West Toronto Church.
Bishop Wayne Vernon and Mrs Yvonne Vernon have a passion for the community and are taking progressive steps to ensure that West Toronto Church impacts the surrounding neighbourhoods and the wider city. Rev. Vernon is an ordained Bishop of the Church of God since 1996 who has faithfully served in several ministry capacities in the Church of God in Jamaica, The Cayman Islands and Canada. Rev. Vernon is passionate about the development of leaders in the body of Christ and have dedicated years to investing and growing leaders within the church. Please see Our Pastor for more details on this man of God and his contributions to the church.